Monday, June 09, 2008

Campaign for the University of Oxford

Today I receive some literature on behalf of the Campaign for the University of Oxford, in my humble capacity of an alumnus. Since I work for another university I don't feel that inclined to contribute. Actually, I guess that employees of Oxford Univerity itself are probably the poorest prospects in that respect.

The first "campaign for Oxford" was begun while I was a student there; the student union at the time was opposed to it, for reasons which didn't make sense to me at the time. I understand that that earlier campaign was quite successful.

The case being made in the literature that I received, is trapped in a kind of contradiction, which is that it is based on the current success of the university, to the point that one might ask why they need more money, if they are already doing so very well. On the other hand, the Matthew effect is so widespread in academic life, that it stands a good chance for that reason.

No comments: